Wood floors add value and beauty to a home and increase the aesthetic appeal manifolds. However, if you are new to this, you might not know many important things about wood floor.
To help you out, we have collected a few useful points you must know.
Type of wood floor right for you – solid wood and engineered wood
It all depends on where you want to install it. Both are made using real wood. Let us see the difference.
- Solid wood flooring – As the name implies, it is a solid piece of wood from top to bottom. The thickness of solid wood can vary, but typically it ranges from ¾” to 5/16”. Solid wood is ideal for any room above ground. The major benefits of solid wood – it can be sanded and refinished multiple times. In addition, they are suitable for living rooms, dining rooms, bedrooms, and kitchens. However, they are not suitable for the basement.
- Engineered wood floors – They are real wood floors that are manufactured using several layers of wood veneers which may vary in species. The grain of every layer stretches in perpendicular directions which makes it stable. It means that it will expand and contract less than solid wood flooring.
Right wood species for your home
Choosing the right species of wood for flooring purpose is strictly a matter of your personal preference. However, the availability of local wood also plays a good role in it. For example, if you wish have to install wood flooring in Peterborough, oak is a nice option.
Other decent and popular options are:
- Ash or maple – for more open and airy look
- Oak or hickory – warm and cozy appearance
- Walnut or mahogany – more stately and refined look
Factory finished floor or site-finished floor
Each method has its own pros and cons and choosing the right methods largely depends on the level of customization you want to achieve.
Site-finished floor – It is applied on the job site, the room where the flooring is installed. In this, you can choose the type of finish which will be applied to the floor and impact maintenance. It comes with unlimited possibilities for customization to before the final appearance of the floor is achieved.
Factory finished wood floor – They come with already finished applied at the factory, before it reaches your home. Though there are different options available with a factory-finished wood floor, you may not achieve the same level of customization as that of a site-finished. The primary benefit is the minimal dust and noise during installation.
Now, you will feel no difficulty in choosing the right wood flooring option for your home.