Have you been toiling at office till late hours? Life has become very dull and boring as we need to rush to our workplaces with the start of the day and till the time we return home we are fully exhausted. That is why we don’t get enough time to visit somewhere for mental relaxation. However, we must have felt the need for energising, attaining balance and detoxifying within ourselves. You can do so with a help of Kapalbhati Pranayama.
Definition of Kapalbhati Pranayama:
People devised some breathing techniques in order to live healthier and longer lives in the olden days. These techniques taken together came to be known as yogic breath. One such aspect of yoga is Kapalbhati Pranayama which has been helping people live a healthier life since ages.
As the word Kapalbhati suggests, Kapal means forehead and Bhati means shining. Pranayama is a kind of breathing technique. Being a Sanskrit word, Kapalbhati Pranayama means a breathing technique which involves a shining forehead. The meaning might seem to be a bit awkward but with regular practice of this technique you can surely be blessed with a shining forehead and a strong intellect.
The technique does not need much effort however, the benefits are manifold which one can enjoy with regular practice. Well known as a shat kriya method, this technique helps to gush out toxic air from the body. Hence, it helps in the cleansing process of the body. Although the primary benefit is cleansing, there are additional benefits which are physical and mental benefits. While doing Kapalbhati Pranayama, you are required to sit in a yogic posture and control your breathing patterns. Kapalbhati Pranayama is basically a breathing exercise that keeps you fit and healthy in spirit, body and mind.
Having talked about Kapalbhati Pranayama, it is time to find out how to do it now.
- Sit in the right pose
Sit in the Easy Pose or in Sukhasana. Placing your palms on your knees and facing upwards, your focus should be your belly region.
- Inhale Slowly
As you start Kapalbhati Pranayama, you are required to inhale well so that your lungs are filled with air. Intake air inside your lungs slowly and steadily. While you inhale, you should concentrate on the airflow and breathe in a quieter and calmer manner.
- Exhale Fast
After inhalation, you should pull your stomach and try to bring your navel as much closer to the spine. You should put your right hand on the navel so that you can feel the contraction of abdominal muscles. Remember to exhale in short bursts accompanied with a hissing sound. While exhaling, you will feel the bad is being thrown out of the body.
- Relax Well
You should continue with Kapalbhati Pranayama (inhalation and exhalation) for at least 20 times. Once you complete 20 times, one round of Kapalbhati will get over. Sit in Sukhasana and keep your eyes closed for some time after you are done with one round of Kapalbhati Pranayama.
- The Different Types of Kapalbhati Pranayama
Kapalbhati can be classified into three types. They are as follows:
- VatakramaKapalbhati-As discussed above, in this process, the exhalation is active but the process of inhalation is passive.
- VyutkramaKapalbhati- In this yoga, you have to sniff in water through the nostrils and allow the water to flow down your mouth and then you have to spit it through you lips.
- SheetKramaKapalbhati- Unlike VyutkramaKapalabhati, you have to take water in your mouth and then throw it out of your noses.
- Heat gets generated in your body and toxins and waste materials are dissolved.
- Your kidneys and liver functions well.
- Regular practice will help remove stress and also it can help get rid of your dark circles.
- Digestion and blood circulation enhances.
- You can observe a rapid weight loss as your metabolic rate increases with the practice of this yoga.
- Helps in the rejuvenation of brain and provides energy to the nerves.
- As this technique stimulates the abdominal organs, so it is a great help for diabetic patients.
- You feel marked difference in your body as this process helps you to become pure and free of clutter.
- Enhances and strengthens the lungs.
- If you are a patient of asthma or sinus, you will certainly get a plethora of benefits from this breathing technique.
- Acidity and gas related problems can be kept at bay with Kapalbhati Pranayama.
- You tend to feel positive and depression goes away with regular practice.
However, while doing Kapalbhati, you should take care of the following the following things:
- Patients of heart should check their exhaling and go slow on it.
- The best time to practice this yoga is during the morning preferably in an empty stomach.
- It is always advisable to learn Kapalbhati Pranayama from a certified yoga trainer.
- If you have respiratory disorders, you should be extra careful while doing it.
If you want to live a life full of positivity and keep your depression at bay, it is always advisable to practise Kapalbhati Pranayama and enjoy the effects of the same.